Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Splish Splash

I went to dinner with some of my girl friends last nite while Philip watched the girls (for which I am very greatful that I have such a wonderful husband that doesn't mind me doing this once a week). Our conversation turned to our children-which it normally does when moms get together. We were discussing how often we bathe our kids. I was the only one there who bathed mine every day. I won't mention the names of the others there to protect their children from any ridicule! Ha! I was shocked!! I know I'm not the only mom who bathes her kids every day. Am I??? I guarantee my mom would back me up on this one!!

So Macy has dry skin...that's what lotion is for! Could it be that I have to bathe her every nite because after 5 minutes of stepping outside she has found a mud puddle to sit or splash in, the dog bowl to dip her head in, or some old dog poop to pick up and bring me???? I suppose my habits have carried over as I have to take a bath every nite before bed. I just can't stand the thought of going to bed dirty! I thought this was normal behavior...but apparently not. Or perhaps I've just got some dirty friends! Ha!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, it's Tracey (Harper) from ACU. I have been reading your blog for awhile, but haven't ever commented. Your girls are precious!! And, like you, I bathe my kids every night before bed. I guess I had never even thought about not bathing them (unless we're out very late and they fall asleep in the car on the way home). Todd (our 2 yr old) also has kinda dry skin. I even wash his hair every night, too. Have a great week!

Hollie Reese said...

Oh yes...Riley earns a bath every day! I couldn't imagine not bathing her! See you in a few days!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ha. baths are way over rated.

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I bathe myself everyday. Sometimes I shower in the morning and take a bath at night. OH, and not to mention, antother semi shower in the middle of the day when I go work out, and then have to go back to work.
I have dry skin. :)

Kim said...

I give both my kids baths everynight(or I should say Derek does). Barrett needs a bath since he can't seem to stay clean. But, I think it really helps with out nighttime routine too.
Your girls are precious!

Julie said...

Okay, okay so maybe I am the insane one. But in my defense, my girls do not get dirty. Alyssa complains when the grass touches her through her sandals. I suppose if she played like Macy she would get a bath too. But I can't imagine Harper gets that dirty and you are already carrying over the tradition. Maybe bathtime is just a treat to my kids. "If you eat all your dinner tonight, we can take a bath!" Woo-hoo!

In the end whatever works for you. For our house, we will save water. Twice a week is enough for us. Am I the weird one?

Cindy said...

Not bathing my kids daily makes Macy and Harper look that much better when they are all together. Your welcome.

Tony and Lindsay said...

Heidi
We bathe both our girls every night! Meal times can be messy! They always seem to get bananas in their hair :)

Lindsay Slate

dw hicks said...

I try to give Mylie a bath every day. She just smells better. Actually, because I always ask you "baby questions" and you bathe your girls every day, I think I should bathe her every day. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure Kim Padgett would have answered your question by now! I would love to hear what she has to say!
I say Yes to a bath everyday, Yes to routines!
Love your pictures!
Julie Mitchen

Kelli said...

Hey girl,
It's Kelli Hooper from ACU. I'm excited to have found your blog! Your girls are so precious! I'm not a mom, so I don't know the "rules of bathing", but I figure you should bathe your kids when you want, because they're YOUR kids! I can tell that you are an excellent mother, and your babies are so happy! You're doing something right! Hope you have a great week!

Unknown said...

uhh.. yeah. Bathtime is vital for Cooper every night. (and my job to get done) I can't believe there are parents out there that don't bath their infant or toddler every day! To each their own I guess. Hope you guys are doing well.

Marcia said...

I don't have kids yet, but I expect that daily baths will be the norm at our house when this baby is born. I agree with Mrs. Mitchen, Kim Padgett should really comment on this. I'm sure she would have some hilarious advice.

Anonymous said...

Trey takes a bath every night, it gives us one more thing to do. He too loves to pick up things like, roaches, animal poop, old food...I just pray they don't go into him mouth. Grace on the other hand....now when was the last time I bathed her???

Alexis said...

Hey Heidi! I've been reading your blog for awhile, but have never posted a comment....until now. I give Graham a bath everynight b/c it is part of his bedtime routine. He thinks of it as "swimming" and loves it! Also, he goes to daycare all day, so I give him a bath to "wash away the germs" each night....doesn't always work :> Your girls are beautiful...dry skin and all!

Ashley said...

O.K. this was HILARIOUS reading all the "bathing" comments; I had NO idea our bath talk the other night would stir up such a discussion, HA!! I'm with Julie and Cindy (the other wierd Moms) that don't bathe our kiddos every night!! I will say that my kids don't have dry skin and no one's ever said they're stinky...or to my face anyways! :) You think our kids can still play together?!! :)

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
I am to blame for the habit of bathing daily! I can't go to sleep unless I have had my daily bath! You know how I love the smell of Baby Lotion!!!
MOM

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
You can definitely blame this habit on me. I can't go to sleep at night unless I have had my daily bath. As for dry skin...You know how I love the smell of Baby Lotio!!!!
Mom